Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Gift to Give

 

You may remember me quickly saying I loved a present that my In-law parents gave Zak, Mady, and I. The present of the little girl who lives in Mexico. A chance to sponsor, pray for, write, give, and think about this little girl.

We take life for granted. We all know we do. Each and every one of us who are so very blessed don’t take the time out of the day to give thanks, appreciate, and give back. Sometimes it takes another person to make us realize just what we have that others don’t. It could be the gift from another person, or the story of another family, and sadly tragic situations of others and ourselves.

The organization is Compassion. Releasing children from poverty in Jesus’ name.

Our child?

 

ME8590227-Fullshot-200w

Her name: Dulce Yeric Mojica Hernandez

her Bio:  she lives in Mexico, just northeast of Mexico City, with her father, mother, and 4 siblings. Her birthday is 12.19.2008 {she is almost 1 year younger than my chica to the date} her responsibility {as a 3 year old} is running errands. She is only 3 and she runs errands. I know running errands where she lives is not like running errands here. They are simple I am sure, such as; going to where they grow the food and bringing back dinner, or fetching water, or going to the neighbors home to get whatever it is that is needed. Still though, my chica is just responsible for having fun, cleaning her room, and being kind. It is an entire different world where Dulce is from. It just makes me think about my life a little bit more deeper. Dulce goes to church (the church has partnered with Compassion) and the staff/volunteers provide a safe haven for her and the other children at the center/church.

Sponsoring Dulce: gives meals, regular health screenings, medical treatment when necessary, and opportunities to learn. She is able to play with other children in a safe environment, receive personal attention, and learn about the love of Jesus and Christians.

She lives: on the plains of The Pastoria with 1,600 other residents. Her house is made from cement with corrugated iron roofs. Her daily food consist of maize, beans, chicken, bread, rice, and potatoes. The health problems are undernourishment, tooth decay, intestinal infections, skin diseases, and parasites. The average laborer earn equivalent to $173 per month. She does have electricity and water in her community but housing and medical attention are scarce.

What I should expect from Dulce? I will receive a minimum of 3 letters a year. Most children need help writing until they are in the 4th grade. Pictures and updates on how Dulce is doing will be sent by the Compassion staff.

There is opportunities to visit Dulce in person!!  Compassion had tours that you can take to meet your sponsored child. Dulce is in Mexico.. this could def. happen!!

Now that you know our little girl we are sponsoring.. this is what I think

This is an amazing opportunity to give back. Like I said in earlier post, I have always wanted to sponsor a child. I am really thankful that the child that the in-laws chose for us is a little girl Mady’s age. Mady is going to grow up writing to her, hearing about her, understanding why we sponsor her, and then maybe one day she will meet her. {Pin Pals! I always wanted a pin pal growing up.}

We don’t make it to church often and I don’t tithe when I do go. This is a great way to allow me to give back. Give back in a Holy Spirit kind of way. My money will be going to something SOMEONE that truly needs it. What we pay for one nice dinner {that we usually do multiple times a month} can help support and take care of another human being. $40 a month. If we can buy a dinner, clothing, alcohol, and anything else we truly do not need for $40, then for sure we can (and anyone else can) afford to skip that nice dinner, skip that party, wear what they already have to support a child.  This is not a question, it is an answer. An answer to my wants and needs to give. An answer on how I can better myself for God and for myself. I am very thankful for this gift and am excited to write, pray, and teach this little girl that God’s love is amazing.

Do you want to sponsor a child? Check out Compassion.com and give back to the world when you already have so much yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment