Tuesday, January 17, 2012

When she is in trouble.

 

At the age of 4, I still have yet to spank my child. I can not say that I will never spank her but I can say that I do not believe that spanking my 4 year old is in her best interest. Time out works just perfectly. Her world comes to a crashing end when she goes to time out and her crocodile tears are enough to be convinced.

Last night, when she ended up in time out, she is sitting at her door while I am telling her why she is in time out. {Yes, I use super nanny tactics all the way…  4 mins in time out, explain to her why she is in time out, get on her lever always, expect an “I'm sorry, and I love you” followed by a hug} This works for us. Always has and I pray it always will.

Back to last night. I am on her lever explaining why we she is in time out. Tears are running down her face, she grabs my hand, and says “but mommy, I just love you” I tell her I love her too, even though I am upset with her and she is in time out. I continue my sentence from before about why she is in trouble and she say “but mommy, you are my favorite” holding my hand again. I explain that she is my favorite, but once again.. she is still in time out. So I leave her to time out. When I walk by, I notice she has a picture of NuNu, Grandbob, Reb, and Josh from a few weekends ago. I tell her she needs to put it down because in timeout we don’t have toys or anything. Then the tears come again “I need it. I just need to think about her” Think about who? “I just love her. I need to think about NuNu and it is my favorite picture eeevveerr” as I take the picture away, she is drawing out the last sentence about it being her favorite picture. This is followed by a second more of crying, her sitting in time out, and then apologizing for every reason she was in time out.

Smile It made me smile that while her world is ending.. while I am the bad guy who is putting her in timeout and ending her world (per say) She still loves me and I am still her favorite. Little does she truly understand how much I love her and how much of a favorite she is to me while she is in timeout. One day, when she has kids.. {I pray she has kids} she will know how I feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment