Monday, January 23, 2012

Crossing My Fingers, but left in God’s Hands

 

Being a new mom is always interesting. It takes you out of your comfort zone, makes you nervous, and piles responsibilities on you that you never realized existed. I say I am a new mom still because there are new things I am having to do right now that I have never done. It is all new to me.

How about decided where your children will go to school? What if you live in a city that doesn’t have the best public schools, or at least your not zoned for the best public schools. What if you know your child will excel better in a private school and the experiences and opportunities will be grater at the private school than at a public school. What if the public school you want your child at is in a part of town that you really don’t want to live in. (aka.. on top of a mtn hill)

How do you decide where to send your child. This is a big deal. This is the education/future of your child. This is a decision I had made before it was time to make it. Like I said, I would send her to a public school but I would have to live on the mtn to do so. I do not live on the mtn and really don’t want to. I actually wouldn’t mind raising her on the mtn, I just don’t want to drive up and down it everyday. Maybe I should think again about it though. Maybe living on the mtn wouldn’t be so bad? I want her in private school Everyone I know that went to a private school succeeded more than the people I know that I went to public school with. This is a true statement for the people I know in our city. Private schools cost money, lots of money, but paying for educations just doesn’t seem like a bad choice. It isn’t like buying a yacht or anything.

So, we have chosen two private schools. One I know she will get into and the other I am crossing my fingers about. (Actually I pray about it and leave it in God’s hands) but I do want her in that school. I fell in love with it. It is hard to get into though. They have to actually do evaluations on the children and applications to get in. This is where I come to being a new mom. These are things I have never done or thought about. Getting in applications for a school, filling out the right paper works, getting the teacher recommendations and so on.

It is kind of overwhelming and intimidating. I am not worried about if she doesn’t get in because plan #2 is just as wonderful to me. (school #2) but I am nervous about the evaluations. They have a play day where they evaluate the social habits. She is a shy child. She isn't going to just go up to a kid and be best friends with them, especially in a place she has never been, BUT, she is excited about going to a new school for the day to meet people and play. I won’t be in the class during the play day so I think she will do fine honestly. Then they have a education evaluation. This is where I am worried. She is smart, super super smart. She doesn’t like to talk to strangers. If a stranger (or even a person she knows) ask her a question, she will stare at them or shrug her shoulders. I am not sure what the school is looking for but I hope that they have had other shy students. Surly they would rather have a shy student then an out of control student.. right?

Like I said, I am putting it in God’s hands and will happy either way. I just want what is best for her educationally. Who knows, maybe it is God’s plan for us to move on the mtn when it is time for school. Guess we will find out come March.

Thoughts and prayers are welcome though! Her play day (social evaluation) is on V-day. {Feb. 14th} and a month later is the educational evaluation. March 31st we find out if she is accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment