Sunday, March 4, 2012

Tornados scare me..

 

Tornados freak me out. I have a fear of being picked up by one, thrown around, and smashing into whatever it throws me down at. Honestly, it really is a huge fear of mine. I am great with rain (if I am indoors and don’t have to drive) I am ok with thunder and lightning (if I am indoors and don’t have to drive or sleep) I am NOT ok with wind when it is storming. I am NOT ok with the “conditions being favorable” for a tornado. The hot temps followed by a cool front (or vise versa). I am NOT ok with tornados. NOT AT ALL.

I am that crazy girl, sitting in the safest place of the house, 2 ipads fully charged with the weather channel on one and the local weather on the other, the radar pulled up on my phone, pillows surrounding me, a bean bag in place to cover my head, and my heart beating out of my chest. All for a tornado warning.. I have my basket ready to go with my weather radio, external hard drive (all Mady’s pics from birth to now are on there) batteries, flashlight, and even my camera when I hear we have a tornado watch. They freak me out.. freak me out!

Some people stand outside or at the window to watch the weather, the clouds, the tornado.. They are the crazy ones!! I don’t want to see one. I don’t want to hear one. I don’t want to watch for one. Never ever!

They devastate towns, families, people.

Last April, I experienced a tornado and didn’t even truly realize it until I walked outside and saw the damage. Then I saw the pictures from Alabama and what I saw was nothing compared to the pictures in AL. Although I freak out before, during the actual “happening” of storms like that I am clam. (only if I am inside and I am safe, and Mady is safe)

Tornados hit again a few days ago. March 3rd 2012 (they actually also hit 2 days before on Feb 28th 2012 in the south also.. a record setting leap day for tornados and death) The March 3rd tornados his close to home. Less than an hour away. Where people I know live. Although we didn’t get the worse of it (towns in KY did) there is devastation.

tennessee-3312-1-600x405
(30 mins from my house)

tennessee-3312-3-600x405
(30 mins from my house)

west_liberty_from_the_air_600x600
(less than 2 hours away)

These 3 pictures from just March 3rd 2012 are enough reason for me to be afraid of Tornados.. Not to mention that last April in AL around 250 people died from the tornado that hit and the pictures from that tornado I can not even look at without feeling sick.

One of many sad stories, a toddler was found like 12 miles from its home in a field. It had survived while it mother, father, 2 month old sibling, and 2 year old sibling had died. Sunday, the toddler took a turn for the worse and also died. An entire family died.. and this is just one story from just one day. It makes my heart hurt.

SO Yes, yes, tornado warnings are to be taken serious. Yes, I would rather hide during the warning from the moment it is given to the moment it is canceled. No, I do not sleep when there is a tornado WATCH.. yes I lay there checking the radar every 2 seconds for a warning, yes I wake my child up and go downstairs. Yes, I would rather be that crazy girl afraid of a tornado because being afraid, I believe, will keep me safe and alert.

On a good note though, the majority of people were ok. We even made it to Nashville with 3 total mins of rain the entire drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment