Tuesday, December 6, 2011

R.I.P Hamster Mae

If you remember this post. We got Mady 2 hamster's for her birthday. That was 4 months ago. Today, Mae passed away. If you do not want to read the details of Mae's death but you want to hear how Mady took it, skip down to where it says "this is the important part of this post" right after the Mady & Mae pictures.


R.I.P Mae



 I noticed Saturday night that she was rocking funny while she slept. It scared me for a second but then when Zak picked her up she moved around. I kissed her and put her back in the cage. I don't remember her opening her eyes now that I look back at that moment. Sunday I did not notice her running around in the cage. This is not unusual since she normally runs around in the night. Monday I spent pretty much all day out of the house. I did notice Monday night that the water bottle was still full. This was weird because Friday night is when we filled it up. These little things drink more water than I do. This did alarm me in a weird way but I did not put two and two together. When I did see Mae, her eyes were still not open but again, she was sleeping like normal. This morning, right before school, I noticed her sitting on top of the bedding. This is unusual because she is normally buried. When I looked at her, she started crawling in the cage. Like hunched over, limp like crawling. This was not normal. She is a fast little thing. I made a noise on the top of the cage which usually wakes them up meaning it is time for food. She did nothing. I saw that her cheeks were full and she stayed hunched over. I rubbed her cheeks and she didn't really move much. Then I picked her up. When I picked her up, she stayed hunched over, didn't open her eyes, and I could hear her breathing. It was a clicking sound while she breathed. At this very moment I put her down quickly. I knew if she died in my hands, I would not make it to school and I had to go. I had an end of the quarter project/presentation due.

On my way to school I called my mom to let her know something was wrong and to give her the heads up that when her and Mady arrived at my house, Mae might be dead. I called Zak next. This is when I cried. He was so understanding and nice about it. I know she is a little hamster. I know they don't always live long. I know this is part of having a pet.. really it is part of life. For me though, I love her. I am not a pet person. They smell, make noises, are a responsibility, and so on.. I was afraid of the hamsters when we first got them. After a week, I was loving on this hamster every day. She made me smile. She never once tried to bite anyone. She didn't care if you woke her up, bothered her while she ate, or just held her forever. She was so soft and I loved giving her kisses. I always held her up to my nose where her little whiskers touched me. Honestly, she was my favorite pet since my childhood dog Abby. When I called Zak, while I cried, I told him I had a bad feeling. She wasn't normal. Something was wrong. I asked him to check on her at lunch because I didn't want Mady to find her dead. At lunch he called me. Said he looked up her symptoms and decided to put her into a small box with a towel, some food, and her water. When I got home, Mae was dead. Laying on her back in the saddest looking way. It was very very sad. She had lost fur under her chin and didn't look healthy. Zak seems to think she had some infection. He read that hamsters hide their sickness until it is pretty much to late. It was too late for Mae. Then I realized I was going to have to tell Mady. I told Zak that I couldn't tell her without getting upset. Being the amazing husband he is. He said. don't worry.. Ill handle it. and he did..






This is the important part of this post:

When he got home, I told him that I think he needed to tell her so the night ended on a good note (this was early in the night) instead of telling her later and the night ending on a bad note. He sat her down.. told her.. and she looked at him and said ok. He asked her if she had any questions and she said no. She understood that Mae wasn't here and wasn't coming back. She then said that "Mae was getting to know Abby in heaven." After a little more simple talking, she looked at me.. leaned over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Got in my lap and sat there still and quiet for a moment. Then the night went on.

This chica did not shed one tear. I shedded tons of tears (not in front of her) This chica didn't question why Mae died. I questioned why Mae died. This chica held it together for me I believe. She didn't say anything when she kissed me but she seemed to kiss me to let me know she was alright. It was alright. I was alright.

There are reasons that God has put her in my life besides for me to be a mom. She shows me strength. She shows me acceptance of God's will. She shows me love. Thank you God for my chica.


R.I.P Mae. 

Like Zak said at dinner when he said the prayer.
"Thank you God for allowing Mae to spend her life with us."

No comments:

Post a Comment