Tuesday, December 27, 2011

1st Trip to the Dentist

In my external hard drive, I keep a folder of Firsts .. Mady's first time standing in a crib.. her first birthday party she attended of a classmate.. her first carnival.. first time bowling.. Just recently I added her first dentist trip. As I was putting the pictures in the folder I realized I didn't post about it.

You guess it.. this is my post about her first Dentist trip..

I had been preparing her for a month ahead of time. Telling her what they would do. Explaining that the Dentist would count her teeth, tell her if she is a good teeth brusher, maybe even let her get something from a treasure chest if she did good. We even practiced opening our mouth wide enough to see inside.

A week before it was time, Mady started getting anxious. Wanting to know if I could be with her the entire time. Wanting to know if she had to lay down in the chair. She did not want to lay down in the chair. I think she felt as though she would be vulnerable if she laid down. I can understand that though.

The day came. I was actually calm about it. I just knew she was going to do great. I could see she was a little nervous. She gets quite when she is nervous, but she didn't tell me no or anything. Off we went to the dentist.

December 7th 2011 - Her first Dentist trip

She did wonderful when we got back there. Climbed in the chair, talked with the dental assistant, even spoke to the dentist on a level that he could hear her. This too is a big deal! She usually whispers to strangers. They layed the chair back and she layed back sort of. Her back laid back but her head stayed up. I motioned at her that she could lay back, it would be alright. The Dentist told her to open her mouth and he looked at her teeth. Beautiful teeth he said! Just perfect! Then he said his good byes and walked away. Next it was time for the cleaning. Oh crap.. I did not prepare her for this. I wasn't sure they would do this on her first visit. She layed there with her mouth open wide wide wide before the assistant even was ready. I giggled because it was so funny and cute at the same time.

The assistant gave her the "kissy thing" a suction hose and let her hold it. She showed her how to do it, and Mady did it one time. Then she got out the cleaner (I have not yet learned in school what it is actually called) This is when I saw it. I watched from her feet to her head tense up. She actually shook. I didn't jump up because I didn't want to answer to her reaction. She sat up and looked at me like "help". I walked to her, kneeled beside her and held her hand. She was climbing through the cords and over the arm to get to me. Crying LOUD and saying mommy mommy. She does not say Mommy Mommy when she cries unless she is in some type of trouble.. Like time out. She was saying it though, as if the world was about to end. It was pure fear in her cry. My heart dropped. Dropped to the floor and never came back. This is exactly what I prayed not to happen. Come on God.. I really didn't enjoy the moment of this! It actually still makes my heart hurt when I write this. Ugh..  Anyways. I sat on the chair with her in my lap. We watched another girl get her teeth cleaned. Mady was still not having it. The assistant decided it would be best to come back in March to try again. March, only 3 months away. Will she be ready? Half of me wants just have her wait until I am an assistant.. then she can come to where I work. She has healthy teeth, no cavities, and the Dentist said everything looks great. We will see when March comes what happens.  Until then, we will continue to brush, floss, mouth wash, and talk about the Dentist.

So the Dentist was a win/fail. I was proud of her though. She did everything we prepared for. I know how she is about things. I love her for who she is. I understand the unknown makes her nervous.. wonder where she gets that from? As Zak says.. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree 



^ Before the Dentist ^




Funny side note: In the picture on the left.. she is holding her fingers.. I do the exact same thing at the Dentist office because I am a little nervous. I am nervous because I don't want it to hurt. I actually enjoy the Dentist.. I love the feeling of my teeth after a cleaning BUT, I still get nervous when I sit in the seat and I too hold my fingers.. Weird!



No comments:

Post a Comment