Tuesday, October 25, 2011

To Hate or Not to Hate Part 1

This is going to be a two part post. I actually started this post with a different thought and title. Then it lead to needing to address a few things in my opinion first.. Get the ugly out of the way to say what I really want to say.. part 2 is way more worth reading than this part 1 post!!

As you know, and the entire world knows, Oprah ended her season of the Oprah Show to start OWN, her network. I have always like watching her shows. There have been many season I have not been impressed with and other seasons I have just loved loved loved.

After 25 years of doing the show she has gained "480 million" (so they quote) fans. She also has millions of "haters" which to me sounds normal. People don't like Oprah for many many reasons. I looked up tons and tons of reasons.. Too many to address, so I am just using two sites Ihatethis.org and nerve.com . I am putting the reasons these sites list and a few words from them. This is their credit.. you can check them out to read more.

I feel as though I should address MY opinion on a few of the 1,000 reasons people hate Oprah


Her idea of happiness involves a lot of spending
Yes, she does her show of her "Favorite Things" and it does turn businesses into overnight successes. She does talk about spending this amount or that amount on a good pair of socks. I agree, she does take her logo and put it on something to sell it. She is overtop with her products and endorsments. but PEOPLE.. she is doing a talk show. A talk show to grab peoples attention. She is not threatening you that if you don't buy it your world will come to an end. She does not have control over what you or another person decides to slide their credit card for. People want to see the cool and even expensive products out there. Who says that cool and expensive things don't make people happy. I know my computer was not cheap, it makes me happy. Can I be happy without it... OF COURSE.. could I live without it.. DUH.. (although sometimes I feel like I couldn't) She is not saying that your life will not have any happiness without spending money. She is just showing fun things that personally I would have not known about if I did not see on her show.

She fat-shames
The most powerful outsider ever to become an insider, she has the unique opportunity to show women that it's okay to be overweight. But instead of leading by example, she's punished herself with years of yo-yo diets, celebrating her low-weight victories by running a marathon, endorsing her chef, and famously bringing a wagon of fat onto her program
Are you kidding me. This one really got me. She is hated because she "fat shames" she has done yo yo diets. You mean to tell me because she is famous. She is a role model means she should be 100% happy with how she looks. If she doesn't feel happy about how she looks, should she be fake about it. So what! So what! What person, that is unhappy with how they look, has not tried to fix that. What person that is overweight has not done a yo yo diet? She ran a marathon.. omg, you hate her for that? Endorsing her chef? DUH she is famous, she has a chef. perks of being a chef to a famous person.. can we say jealous "haters" and the last one.. famously bringing a wagon of fat onto her program.. why is that bad? I dont get it? It could have opened up 1 persons eyes. How many eyes have you opened up in your day?


Her perceived infallibility
Her most devout admirers watch her religiously, quote her as an expert, and scramble for every product she endorses or even mentions. 
This just sounds like people don't understand the world. First, people scramble to buy products that she endorses or mentions just like people scrambled (and then trampled on other people and killed) to get that damn tickle me elmo a few years back. Just like people scramble to get American Eagle jackets. Just like, people pay $150 for Jessica Simpson purses. This is how the world works. This is how people make money. Hating her because she has dedicated followers? So does the NFL. They have men that will not miss a game. They have men that put their guy friends and the game ahead of their family. omg, really... people that are on t.v.  people that are famous.. people that are in the spot light will have followers. In my part 2 of this post, I am going to be quoting her. I do not look at her as an expert.. I know she does not have a degree, but she does have at least 25 years of experience. She does have good advice. Some people may quote her like an expert but people can argue that with anything in the world said by another person. It all depends on how you take it. I personally take it as good advice, as you will see in part 2 of this post.

She popularized the word "vajayjay
 "Vajayjay" implies that there's something wrong with the word she's replacing. There's nothing silly, dirty, or wrong about the word "vagina." A journalist should be able to say the word "vagina." An adult should be able to say the word "vagina." In using "vajayjay," she's dumbing down her speech and infantalizing her audience, and further stigmatizing a body part about which many women already feel embarrassed
Nope, don't agree at all with this. Maybe she uses the word vajayjay because people are unconfortable with saying vagina and she wants them to be comfortable enough to talk about it. Don't judge someone for being uncomfortable or weirded out by not wanting to use a certain word. There are a ton of other words out there that mean vagina and I personally thing vajayjay is the least of our worries for demeaning or stigmatizing that body party. Enough said about that. Hate her because she doesn't say vagina. Really? Get a life!

Oprah is just like that rich girl at school that buys her friends, just on a much larger scale. If she would use half the money she spends on the poor, she would still have plenty left over to buy other important items for herself
I do agree with this. I think since she has sooooo much money, she should donate.. But on the other hand, how do we know for sure what she does or doesn't do. She could donate very little or maybe she donates millions. God will judge her and what she does with her life. The people that hate her for this. You have $10 in your pocket.. do you donate at least a $1 every time you are asked at a store or restaurant? My name is on all the little things you sign for donating. Always! Every time. If you have $10 in your pocket, donate 10% of it and you still have some left over. Everyone should help out with money or with time. Your heart is what matters. Don't judge her on something that over half of the U.S doesn't do themselves. Just because she has millions doesn't make her a target for hitting her up for money. Just like the person that wins the lotto.. Do they donate? Like I said, God will judge her life, not us. She has done a lot that we know about. What about what we don't know about? Good and Bad..

Arrogance
Just because Oprah’s show is popular, she thinks she is always right. Oprah does not have any degree(s) of education in psychology. She imposes her poor advice always on people, and what’s unfortunate is most people that watch her show believe it because, well it’s Oprah, and she is rich and famous, so she must be right. How pathetic.
I take my friends advice the same way I would take Oprah's. (maybe take my friends a little closer to heart since they know me) but I 100% disagree that she "imposes her poor advice always on people" Her advise is good. She doesn't get it from just her head. She has a team. A TEAM. that works on the advise. She gets her advice from other amazing people she meets and learns from. aka.. where this post first started was from some advice.. again, part 2! I believe it because it makes sense, NOT because it is Oprah.

Deception for Personal Gain
Do you remember that show were Oprah “gave” away all those cars?! People thought she was the best! So generous! After all, 276 cars is a lot of cash to give away! 8 million to be exact. Guess what. Oprah never paid for them, she just wanted it to appear that way. General Motors wanted to launch the new Pontiac G6 in a big way, so they stuck a deal with Oprah
I actually never thought she paid for them in the first place. Just like when she gives away anything. I figured they were donated by the company to launch or give their product a name to millions of viewers. If people thought she paid for them, I don't know, that's their thought.. and this is there "AhHa Moment".. (had to quote her somewhere in this part 1 post)

Oprah Morphing Ability
Oprah is so fake. When an African American women or man is on the show, Oprah talks like “Yo, what’s up girl”, or “Aight ya’ll” but when theirs a white guest, she morphs into Jackie Kennedy and is composed and talks so conservative.
I actually never noticed this. I will have to watch closer. If she does do this just because of the people she is around well, I don't thing she should. There are ton of people that do that though. I talk differently with my husband than I do with my girls. We have our own jokes and sayings.. but again, if she does this in a way to be fake or to fit in.. I don't agree that it is right. I have just never noticed it.

Oprah is a Proven Liar
Oprah said on her show she never did drugs. Then a media company finds out and is about to expose her. So Oprah does a 180 and confesses her drug (crack) use.
As a role model she should not lie about these types of things. She is human though and people lie. I didn't see where she said she didn't do drugs but if she did and then later said that she has done them, well.. at least she ended up telling the truth. She might not have felt comfortable telling people at the time. I don't know. As a role model though, if she is going to take on that role, she should be honest as much to her ability. Her life and her past is hers regardless of what role she takes on though.

She is a racist
well, I kind of agree .. sort of..  I do not think she is a racist in a way that she hates on other people. White, Indian, etc. I think she favors Black people. I am not being a racist but don't a lot of blacks favor blacks? This could get me in trouble if taken the wrong way.. I do not mean this in any wrong or racist ways. I have thoughts on all people regardless of their skin. I think that she favors them because of the hardship that they have had to face even to this day. I think her point might be to help and to share the hardships and the accomplishments. She, just like other black people (just like other Whites for Whites and Mexicans for Mexicans) want to be accepted and want everyone to understand the feeling of not being accepted. So racist? maybe.. again, depending on how you look at it.. but everyone can be looked apon as a racist in more ways than one. In ways that some people would not consider racist and others would always consider racist. Racist is such a touchy subject in so many areas of peoples self worth, peoples self beliefes, you have to be careful.. I think everyone should embrace everyones differences, hardships, and feelings.. regardless of if we agree or not, we should consider it and where it came from.

So pretty much how I feel is that Oprah is human. I am sure there are die hard fans that would buy every product with her name on it, feel and live by what she says, and continue to support her no matter what. I am nt like that and do not think because you or I am a fan, we should not be put in the catagor of thinking she is God.  She is not God. I do think she comes across in a way sometimes like she is the most powerful women in the world. She might be in some aspects. People might have a worship like sense with her. There are so many things though that people have that same attitude towards. There are so many other people that think they too are the most powerful. She does good though. She does more good than bad I think. She might have an ego, she might think she knows everything, she might have a power struck out of touch with reality personality, but she has also gone from nothing to a millionaire. She has become one of the most known if not the most known black lady in the world. My point though is she is human. If people look at her as she is perfect and knows everything, that is their problem.. not hers. If people think she should not mess up or lie or say the wrong things, that is their problem.. not hers. The haters should stop taking the time to write about her and waisting energy to hate her..  move on with their life. It is all about the fans. How the fans take her, what they see in her, what they learn and take away from her and her stories, what impact the guest have on viewers. She opens peoples lives, she opens peoples eyes, she opens peoples brains, she changes people, even if it is 1 person isn't it worth it? Isn't helping a person worth it? I think know she helps people or at least changes their way of thinking. She has changed thoughts in my head. For the better. It is good advice.. put in good words. It is amazing stories.. stories to give hope or show how the world is different. It is "things" that I would have never known about or heard of with out her. Her stories of peoples life and situations stick with me. They stick with me more than she does in most cases. I was glad she ended her show though. I was tired of her. 25 years is a long long time. I think she is amazing and shows how you can change.. change yourself and others.. how you can try to change the world.

So to hate or not to hate? That is your own question. I don't hate. I embrace.. just like I embrace quotes I find on pinterest. or stories I read on the Internet, books, or newspapers. It is kind of like, take it or leave it.. do what you want with it. To hate though? How about just move on.. don't give your time to her.. try to see a positive side if she is for some reason pushed into your life. She is a human making a difference in someones life if it is yours or not, who are you to hate her for it?

part 2 will come tomorrow.. it is way way more interesting than this post though.. it isnt really about Oprah.. it is about some life lessons as she calls them that have hit me over the past month. It is quotes from her and others that she has made me "rethink" how I think. Good quotes to live by regardless of who said them..

No comments:

Post a Comment