Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting SO Big!

 

It amazes me how much can change in such a short amount of time. I feel as though things can stay the same for so long that when things do change, they change quick and drastically. As in; my beautiful little Chica.

She will be 5 in August.

For a few months now I have felt as if she has not grown very much. (not physically and not mentally but reality wise I guess you could say) I blame myself for this, being the over protective parent that I knew I wanted to be. Now I realize that over protective isn't always a great thing.. A good thing YES, a great thing.. not always..

Since she was a itty bitty I have watched what I say around her, what other’s say around her, what she sees on tv or listens to on the radio. For example: she was only allowed to watch shows that educated her. This does mean we watch a ton of that annoying show Dora the Explorer. Pretty much Sprout and Nick Jr were the only things allowed. There are not commercials on sprout or nick jr so her seeing the sexual commercials for (everything) cutting the grass were never a worry of mine. Music was always kids place live or CD’s I made (of course she has always listened to the Beetles and such)

I have never broken a bone in my life. Neither has my sister. Heck, I couldn’t even tell you where you go when you go to the ER. Do you sign in? Do you sit in the waiting room with a screaming child? Do you get called back right when you sign in? I am clueless. I am also careful. I never broke a bone because I didn’t take risk (like jumping off roofs or whatever people do when they break bones) I stayed safe.. Safe from the pain.

HOW HAS BEING AN OVERPROTECTIVE MOM BACK FIRED?

My child doesn’t take risk either. I got in the habit of telling her the worst thing that could happen. For example, her sitting on the edge of something. “Mady be careful, if you fall you could bust your head open and then you would bleed all over the grass” or “Mady don’t run on the concrete, if you fall you could smash your face” you know, little things like that.. (HA, pretty bad I know.. I have stopped this though) Kind of reminds me of the Christmas Story where he could shoot his eye or whatever. THAT is exactly the kind of things I WAS  saying to her. This lead into her not wanting to do anything that was dangerous. Which lead to her not wanting to do anything that was slightly dangerous. Then I got scared she would miss out on life. So now, I do things life push her down the small water slide. From one extreme to the other.. I know.. but hey, I’m only 5 years into this being a mom thing.. I’ll figure out the middle ground at some point!

As for tv/radio. Yes, the radio has songs that are very unnecessary for even a 26 year old, but not seeing commercials, tv shows, or radio.. kept her in the dark you could say. I started to see how other 4 and 5 years olds acted. Listening to what they would say. YES, my child is way smarter than those children when it comes to Anatomy, Reading, and any other BOOK SMART that there is. But “street” smart (for a 4 ear old) she had no clue! Therefore, I let up a little bit. We have Netflix only so there are still not commercials (which is a good thing) but we watch things like Hannah Montana, movies like Free Willy, Annie, even Spiderman {the real spider man not the old one or the cartoon} So, she is a little more adverse you could say. {not sure if that is the word I am looking for.. but you know what I mean}

As for music, Disney Station is fine with me. Which the Disney Station is not would you are thinking it is. If you grew up when I did or are older, you are probably thinking theme songs from Disney movies or mickey mouse and such. NOPE. It is like a pop station for kids. So, she hears some of the same music played in retail stores or restaurants. Songs I like, songs Zak likes.

WHAT HAS CHANGED

she is growing up. I don’t really like this but it must happen. I think I was trying to keep her little which held her back from knowing and seeing the reality of the world. As much as I want to protect her from everything bad. (we all know our world has a ton of bad now a days) I also want her to grow. Learn to make good decisions. Trust in God, herself, and her family. I want her to experience life in the best way possible while making mistakes on the way to where her life takes her. I want her to know she is amazing because she chooses to be not because I make her to be. I want her to learn that even in the wrong of the world, the right of the world is worth everything. I want her to grow and be beautiful inside and out. Learn what to do when others are being mean. How to handle situations. If I keep her little, over protect her, do everything for her, and not allow her to take a dangerous chance.. she wont know what to do when she is in school. Even at the age of 5 and 6, kids are going through things that we never would have believed when we were growing up.

So although she is growing up FAST. I feel as though I should allow it. I feel as though I am taking baby steps trying to keep up with her and the rest of the world. Now, lets say a small simple prayer!

 

Dear God, please allow my beautiful chica the knowledge and guidance to be amazing in every situation. Also, can you please change the cycle of life and allow babies to stay babies for an extra 3 years. In Jesus name. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment